Friday, September 11, 2009

Two Years Ago Today

Two years ago today I was a nervous wreck. I didn't expect to be, but I was. After all, we already had two kids, and I was an old pro. But this was different. Kim experienced weeks of sickness leading up to that day. In fact, the doctors wanted to take the baby a day earlier, but there was no room in the hospital. To make matters worse, the nurses took Kim to surgery and forgot me. So there I was in the room by myself imagining the worse.

Finally, the nurses remembered me, and I was rushed to the operating room. Previously I imagined the worse, but when she came I immediately began to imagine the best. From the start she was a bundle of energy--a bundle that keeps us all hopping. As soon as I saw her I knew that everything would be different and it is. There is nothing like a baby girl to make a big mean daddy melt into one big sap.

I've heard it said that boys will make you a father but a girl will turn you into daddy. I admit it sounded pretty far fetch to me until she called me daddy for the first time. I would not take a million dollars in exchange for the joy she brings to our family. As I type this, I fight back the tears. God has been better to us than we could have every imagined, and we bless his name. I love you, baby girl. Have a happy birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Shane that is so sweet! Kim and your kids are very lucky and blessed to have a wonderful man like you in their lives. I love you all!

    ReplyDelete