Monday, June 15, 2009

"Daddy, was that just pretend?"

Yesterday we observed communion. As always it was a beautiful and powerful reminder of the life-giving, life-shaping work of Christ on our behalf.

After church we spent some time at my mother-in-law's swimming pool. I was sitting in a chair as the boys played. Suddenly, Joshua asked a random question. "Daddy, was that just pretend today?" Confused I responded, "What do you mean?" He said, "Were you just pretending that the grape juice was blood?"

Now I understood. Our observance left him confused. So he asked a profoundly theological question. He wondered if our worship service was like a game he would play-- except for grown ups. In one sense, we did pretend. We were not actually in the upper room, and we were not physically present with Jesus. In another sense, however, it was not pretend at all. It was a living reminder superintended by the spiritual presence of Christ that called us to renewal and consecration. In other words, our service was not detached from reality, but a reminder of what is most important. It was a time for Jesus to call us from our sin to repentance, faith, and mission. Yes, my son the grape juice was not blood, but no, my son, I was not just pretending.

I understand his confusion and rejoice at his question. But I hope that it is not glimpse of the future. Let me explain. I fear that many look at the Christian church and ask, "Are you pretending?" Sadly there are many times that our faith appears like nothing more than a game we play as "good church going people." It is a trap that is hard to avoid. But then God in his great love provides for us the Lord's Supper to remind us of the the reality of Christ's sacrifice as well as the preciousness of our salvation and the urgency of His mission. We are not pretending; we are pilgrims on our way home. May our lives reflect that reality in all spheres of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment