Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I was late today, and I loved it!

If you know me, you know that I hate being late. So the title might shock you. I was late to work today. I was, in fact, a few hours behind schedule. Usually such things throw me into a panic. We are all busy people with busy lives. We have deadlines to meet and people to see. Things need to get done. So, to lose a couple of hours usually leads to worry (that is saying it kindly).

But I am not worried. I am not anxious. I am not ticked. Instead I rejoice. I rejoice because I was late for a good--I might even say great--reason. I was invited to attend a time of prayer and bible study this morning. I was not sure what to expect. I was not even sure that I wanted to go, but I am glad that I did. In the presence of these men, my soul was refreshed by God. They helped, encouraged, and inspired.

It reminded me that God wants us to experience community. We are social creatures who are made to engage first with God and then with others. Just consider the various "one another" passages in the NT. We are to "live in harmony with one another (Rom. 12:16)," to "teach and admonish one another (Col. 3:13)," to" accept one another (Rom. 15:7)," to "stir up one another to love and good works (Heb. 10:24)," just to name a few.

Technically speaking this is fellowship. Biblical fellowship is something greater than the meal we have in the "fellowship hall." It is a gift of the Spirit that based on our common fellowship with God. It mirrors the divine fellowship within the Trinity, and through it we enjoy the common blessings of our salvation.

That is why our church is committed to seek God's direction for the creation of authentic, biblical community. It is a gift that we need and a work worth pursuing.

I was late today. I am behind schedule, and I bless God for it. He loved me to much to let me feel alone. He wanted me to experience Christian fellowship. Thank you, Jesus. You give me more than I deserve.

1 comment:

  1. Shane,

    It was a pleasure to have you join us this morning. God has been so merciful as to allow me to be apart of this group. I appreciate your generous words of wisdom this morning.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete