Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What do I really need today?

Is it money? If so, when will I have enough? Is it a safe home with healthy children? I want this, but I am not always satisfied with just this. Is it esteem or success?

On and on the questions could go. The fact of the matter is that all human hearts are factories of desire. We constantly want something else, and we hope that that the next blessing or gift will satisfy our hearts.

Yet, we are made to find ultimate satisfaction in God alone. And here is the great thing: when God is the satisfaction of our hearts, the blessings get better, for they are rightly enjoyed. God is not honored when the gift trumps the giver. He is honored when the gifts lead us to praise the giver.

What I really need today is God, and through Christ I have him. Listen and let your heart be satisfied. God says, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you (Jer. 31:3)." "I will feast the soul of the priests with abundance and my people shall be satisfied with my goodness, declares the Lord (Jer. 31:14)."

1 comment:

  1. Very true! If we all could just wake up every morning thanking God for what He has done and giving Him the glory for everything in our lives....our days would go so much better.

    ReplyDelete