Saturday, August 29, 2009

What a Way to Start the Day

What do you say when you first wake up? Are you one of those rare persons who go into the day singing? Or are you like most of us who wake up thinking: why does that clock ring so early? We wake up worried about the mountain of work; dreading some uncomfortable part of the day; or nervous about it all.

Before he died John Newton, the man who wrote the beloved hymn Amazing Grace, famously said: "My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: that I am a great sinner and that Christ is a great Savior." What a statement!

Part of the power of this thought is its balance, and it is that balance we need when we start the day. When I wake up feeling pretty good and righteous, I need to be reminded of the greatness of my sin. When I wake up depressed or discouraged, I need to be reminded not of my inherent abilities but of Christ's utter sufficiency.

I cannot help but think that such a beginning would change things. Perhaps I would be more patient and kind, less critical and harsh. By God's grace let's keep these two truths close. Let us not just say them but love them, and God will slowly but steadily change us for his glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment