Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'm Living My Biography

I started reading Through Gates of Splendor yesterday. It is the story of Jim Elliot written by his wife Elizabeth. I was struck as I read the first chapter by the fact that she loved what God was doing in his life. She gushed with admiration for God and her husband.

Then a thought came to me. I wondered what would happen if I died and Kim wrote a biography about me. What would she say? Would it be filled with confidence in God? Am I the kind of man that she could admire and respect? What if my children tried to write it? What would they say?

There are two things that I know. First, I am not worthy of a biography, and if one was written it would not be like Jim Elliot's. Second, I am living the material now. I am humbled and challenged by this. God help me to live a faithful life before them. Only God knows how much I want to lead them to and not away from Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the blog Shane.
    It is a great reminder that we are here and now living out our own biography. What would Tony say about me? Christian? Amanda? What would God say about me right now? I am a little fearful to ask. As I said, this is a great reminder. I think when I wake up in the morning I will start with a blank sheet of paper and try to begin writing a page that is pleasing to the Lord. Then as you always said everything else will fall into place.
    God bless you buddy, ~Pam Howard

    ReplyDelete