Thursday, July 16, 2009

Resuced

Sometimes my memory of past sinfulness is almost overwhelming. Apparently I am not alone. Saint Augustine wrote an entire book of confessions to his God. Sometimes I wonder why we are allowed to remember our past sinfulness. Surely God could erase the memory as he has erased the debt. Why must we have the stabbing pain of remembered sin?

Part of the answer, I think, is so that we will glorify God as we remember not just the pain of sin but the sweetness of deliverance. Every remembrance of sin humbles me, but it is meant to do more than humble me. It is meant to drive me to the cross, where I remember who I am now. Praise God that through Jesus who I am now barely resembles who I used to be. And who I am now is only a small glimpse of what I will one day become. Oh, how my chains fall at the cross. Oh, how my heart sings. Oh, how I look forward to being with Jesus forever. And it is all possible because Jesus paid it all. I thank God that I cannot remember my sin without being drawn to my Savior.

I hear the Savior say, 'Thy strength indeed is small. Child of weakness watch and pray, find in me thine all in all.'

For nothing good have I whereby they grace to claim, I'll wash my garments white in the blood of Calvary's Lamb.

Lord, now indeed I find thy power and thine alone can change the lepers spots and melt the heart of stone.

And when before the throne I stand in him complete, I'll lay my trophies down, fall down at Jesus' feet.

Jesus paid it all. All to Him I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain he washed it white as snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment