Thursday, July 16, 2009

It Can't Get Any Better, Can It?

That was what I was thinking on July 18th, eleven years ago. I was standing at the front of Clearwater Baptist Church. My father stood beside me as the congregation rose to its feet. When the back door opened, my eyes almost popped out of my head. There stood the most beautiful women that I had ever seen, and she was minutes away from being my wife. I just remember thinking, "If just can't get any better than this, can it?"

Amazingly it has. God has blessed me with a wife that is so much better than I deserve. I am not sure if it is the way the she cares for us and cherishes our children, or if it is her relentless commitment to God's call that impresses me the most. She has followed me away to school and back again. She worked while I prepared for ministry, and now she works preparing our children for life. She has spent evenings alone when I am called out. She has been a relentless encourager and partner, and I am a better man for it.

Kim, the words "I love you" seem woefully incomplete to express how I feel, but they are all that I have. Very few people are blessed enough to be married to their best friend as I am. The first 11 years have been great, and I am as excited as ever about what God may bring us. Happy anniversary. When I hear these words, I always think of you: "She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Many women have done excellently but you surpass them all (Prov. 31:27-29)."

Thank you God for your grace and kindness toward us. We have made it this far because of your mercy, and by your mercy we go on. You have blesses us; help us to be a blessing to others. In Jesus Name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, brother. One note of interest, our son Jake (third child of four) married Loren Milstead yesterday, July 18th @ CCK. She's an absolute gift and suitable helpmate from God. Their ceremony was God-honoring and put the gospel on full display. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Thanks for the encouragement. What a wonderful thing it is when God adds to a family through marriage. Praise the Lord, for He is good to us.

    ReplyDelete