Thursday, July 2, 2009

Reacting to One

I was around twenty years old when I met him. Preacher Hooker, as we affectionately called him, was a tall yet gentle man. I loved how he still adored his wife after all their years together, and I loved how he seemed so gentle while remaining a man of conviction.

He was not always this way. At least that is what he used to tell us. I still remember how his voice would tremble as he spoke his past struggle with anger, and I remember the look on his face when he spoke of the lessons he learned. One particular lesson stuck with me. He would say, "I just determined never to be a reaction to some one's action." That is, the actions of other people would not be what determined how he lived his life. They would not set the emotional agenda for him.

Over the years this quote kept me from a lot of self-inflicted pain. It is a great quote. And it is almost right. I do not say "almost" because I disagree; I just want to go a step beyond. So, I say almost for this reason: while other people are not meant to set the emotional agenda for me, there is one person who should--Jesus. I am made to be a reaction to he supreme action of self-sacrifice on the cross. My motivations, plans, and actions are meant to be a response of love to his motivation, plan, and action. Paul says it like this, "For the love of Christ compels us, because we have concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he died for all that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised (2 Cor. 5:14-15)."

So wherever you are today. Don't live a life of reaction to every body's actions. Live as a reaction to his action and watch his grace work as his kingdom expands.

1 comment:

  1. Shane,

    Bro, this is exactly the exhortation that I needed today. I too deal with this struggle, although, there are voices in my life that tell me I have come a long ways. I realize, because they can't see my heart, that I still have a long way to go. Thanks so much for speaking this truth, and I am truly thankful that your voice has returned to our community, and is once again speaking into my life. God is using you in a great way, and I want you to be encouraged that I believe that God is being glorified with your life and ministry. Thank you, and praise be to God.

    ReplyDelete